R870 - Review


This, in my eyes, is the only true shotgun in the game. It has the classical pump action look, as it should. For some reason it looks a bit short, but that just makes it looks more evil. Bullet holders to the left add to that evil look. The sound of the gun is very nice, it is more of a low pitched shotgun shot. The gun is small and it doesn't take up much space. Iron sights are good for a shotgun, as you don't need to be too accurate with it.


The gun is a standard pump action shotgun. It has 8 bullets and that is an easy 5, 6 kills for me before reload. I usually manage to kill a guy with just one shot, but there are times that I am just outside of the effective range of this shotgun and I have to fire 2, maybe 3 shots to get the job done. Time between the shots doesn't feel too long for me. The range of this gun is close, there is no point to even bother at medium and long distances as it won't register any damage. While I wish range was a bit longer, it works. For a shotgun, it's range is second best. This weapon is especially good on Hijacked, but I've used it with success on every map. You just need to get used to its range and avoid open corridors. Reload time feels OK for a shotgun, I only wish that cancel would be quicker. Right now if I'm caught reloading, I'm dead. Reload animation is good.


There are two sets of attachments that I can't really decide on. One pair is long barrel and quick draw, the other is long barrel and laser sight. Long barrel is pretty obvious as it improves the range if the shotgun. It is almost mandatory to put it on every shotgun. Laser sight seems logical as it improves the pellet spread and it significantly increases the hip fire range. On the other hand I've noticed that I'm much better on very close ranges when hip firing without the laser sight. That is why I also use the other option of quick draw and long barrel. For every longer distance I aim down the sights and a bit more wider hip fire spread is useful for really close distances. I usually use Perk 1 greed, Perk 3 greed, Lightweight, Flak Jacket, Toughness, Extreme conditioning and Dexterity, to maximize my rushing speed and abilities.

R870 - Final thoughts

This is the best shotgun for me. It does exactly what a shotgun should. This is the best weapon to use on close distances. In addition to it's deadliness, this gun is also a beauty to look at. There is nothing I love more than rushing three snipers on top of the crashed plane in Turbine with my R870. The only downside to this gun is that you need to learn it's effective range.