PDW-57 - Review


I don't get the love this gun gets. When I'm thinking what are the things I like about this gun it always comes to only one thing: It has a large clip. It has this yellowish, brown color and it has this wide look. The clip is supposed to be similar to the one that P90 has, but this one looks more like a fish can. I like how reload animation is done, but I hate that clip. Even though the gun is big, I've never had a feeeling that the gun is blocking my aiming view. I've performed quite good with iron sights, so that's a plus. They're not the best sights, but they work and that's what counts.

This gun is solid up close. Spray and pray hip fire is solid. It's just that other submachine guns feel stronger. It has slower rate of fire and it shows, especially on distance. The moment I fired it on some medium target I felt oh boy now I know why it has a large clip. It is very important to hit the first few shots. They are grouped quite nicely together, but if you miss with them, your ammo will simply vaporize. Gun can sometimes drift to the right, sometimes a little upwards, but most of the time it fires to the center. Even though clip has 50 bullets, this gun is a borderline 3 kill for me. At times it is just so frustrating to play with it when there is noticeable lag/lag compensation in the match. There were games that I was getting killed in a lot while using this gun. Then I switched to MSMC, that has the same fire rate as PDW, and I dominated. It could be just me having some mental block with this gun, I really am not sure. This gun being used that much by other players confuses me. Reload feels long. You can maybe cancel it a bit at the end and that maybe makes it a bit faster, but still... Slow.

I tried rapid fire with this gun, but it just starts jumping around a lot more. Almost to the point that it negates all the good things big clip provides. Close range gets better, but that's about it. Red dot and fore grip improve this gun on medium distances. If you're using primary gunfighter then a combo of laser sight, red dot sight and fore grip would be solid attachments. Even though I like the clip, red dot improved my kill ratio with this gun a lot. These attachments made the gun quite useful to me actually, but then again, there are other options that are better with the same setup. I've also played more close range (shotgun range) and laser scope with fast mag plays quite nicely. However, if you get opponents with shotgun, you will die. A lot.

PDW-57 - Final thoughts

I don't like this gun. I tried and I tried and it was mostly OK, OK, meh, solid, love the clip, eh respawn, meh, respawn. Maybe if I wasn't lagging, then I'd like this gun, I'm not sure. I prefer shotguns on short ranges, they are the superior weapon in close quarters. I use a submachine gun when I know I might need it also in a medium, semi-long situations. Without the setup of red dot, fore grip and laser sight I don't find this gun useful on those distances. If I had to use primary gunfighter, I'd rather put the extended clip on Vector K10 and squeeze that additional kill out of it.